Estates and Wills

Estates and Wills

Beginning the Estate Process 

Documentation needed to begin the process of setting up an estate includes: 

  • Original Last Will and Testament – if applicable
  • Copy of complete obituary
  • Copy of death certificate – This may be obtained from the Register of Deeds in the county in which decedent dies or from the funeral home.
  • Copy of funeral bill with receipts or other documentation indicating who made payments.
  • Name, age, and mailing addresses of heir(s) – spouse, living AND deceased children. If child(ren) is/are deceased, need same information on spouse and children of decedent.
  • Title(s) and/or registration card(s) to vehicle(s) 

You will need to have knowledge of the decedent’s real and personal property and the values: 

  • Bank account information - account numbers, balance in accounts, copy of signature cards for joint and POD accounts
  • Stocks and bonds owned by decedent – number of shares and values at time of death
  • Cash and/or uncashed checks on hand
  • Household furnishings
  • Farm products, livestock, equipment, or tools
  • Title(s)/registration card(s) to any vehicles/mobile homes or utility trailers - make, model, mileage, and VIN and value of each. If loan is not paid in full, then provide the equity value of the vehicle.
  • Interest and value in a partnership or sole proprietor business.
  • Insurance policies, retirement plans, IRA payable to the estate or no designated beneficiary.
  • Notes, judgments, and debts owed to the decedent
  • Miscellaneous personal property, ie: gun collections, jewelry, doll collections, etc.
  • Real estate willed to the estate with legal description
  • Estimated annual income of estate.
  • Did decedent own real property in his/her name ONLY? If so, what is the fair market value?
  • Did decedent own real property with spouse?
  • Did decedent own real property with someone other than the spouse? What is the value?
  • Had the decedent ever inherited any real property?
  • Did the decedent have utilities provided by a membership corporation, i.e., South River Electric Membership Corporation, Central Electric Membership Corporation, etc.? If so, provide account number and amount of capital credit.
  • Is there a pending personal injury case or will there be a wrongful death action?

    You can obtain additional forms at NCCourts.Gov

This office will assist you as much as possible; however, we are prevented from giving advice and answering legal questions.  If you have legal questions, you must contact an attorney.

Please Note there are several types of estates, and you may be asked to provide additional information not listed above.

If you have questions, you may contact us at:

Reneé Whittenton
Clerk of Superior Court
(910) 814-4600

Whitney Pearce
Administrative Assistant
(910) 814-4647

Tyler Blomquist
Supervisor/Assistant Clerk
(910) 814-4655

Sandra Paye
Assistant Clerk
(910) 814-4585

Ashley Vest
Deputy Clerk
(910) 814-4581

Cindy Atkins
Deputy Clerk
(910) 814-4586

Amber Bennett
Deputy Clerk
(910) 814-4587

Susan Scarborough
Deputy Clerk
(910) 814-4573


For additional ways to file online through eCourts, please visit the below link: 

Guide and File