Popular ResourcesView All

Veteran Crisis Line Dail 988 then PRESS 1/Linea de crisis para veteranas/veteranos marque 988 y luego PRESIONE 1

Veteran Crisis Line Dail 988 then PRESS 1/Linea de crisis para veteranas/veteranos marque 988 y luego PRESIONE 1

If you're a Veteran in crisis or concerned about one, the Veterans Crisis Line is a free, confidental resource that connects you to a real person specially trained to suppot veterans. … Read more

Vet Center

Vet Center

Fayetteville, NC Vet Center offer confidential help for Veterans, service members, and their families at no cost in a non-medical setting. Our services include counseling for needs such as depression, post traumatic … Read more


Sandhills Center/Local Management Entity-Managed Care Organization (LME-MCO),

Sandhills Center is a publicly-funded LME-MCO (Local Management Entity-Managed Care Organization) committed to helping people to receive the best care possible for their mental health, intellectual/developmental disabilities, and substance use disorders. … Read more

North Carolina for Military Employment (NC4ME)

North Carolina for Military Employment (NC4ME) is a comprehensive public-private partnership designed to make NC the number one state for military employment. Established by the Governor in 2015, NC4ME leverages existing … Read more

NCServes - NCCARE360

NCServes joins NCCARE360 to provide a coordinated system of public, private, and non-profit organizations working together to provide support to service members, veterans, and their families. If eligible, they connect the … Read more

Veterans Services of the Carolinas (VSC)

Veterans Services of the Carolinas (VSC) is a division of Asheville Buncombe Community Christian Ministry (ABCCM) that supports our nation’s Veterans and their families by implementing assistance programs across North Carolina. … Read more

What's New?View All

All WWII Veterans are now eligible for no-cost VA health care and nursing home services

Department of Veterans Affairs announced that all World War II Veterans are now eligible for no-cost VA health care, medical services, and nursing home care. Read more

Veterans in suicidal crisis can go to any VA or non-VA health care facility for free emergency health care

Starting Jan. 17, Veterans in acute suicidal crisis will be able to go to any VA or non-VA health care facility for emergency health care at no cost – including inpatient or … Read more


The PACT Act is a new law that expands VA health care and benefits for Veterans exposed to burn pits, Agent Orange, and other toxic substances. The PACT Act will … Read more


VA News Releases - VA News

This link will take you to the VA News and Information site. The site provides Top Stories, Latest News, and the Press Room. Read more

Related LinksView All

Harnett County Veterans Services Outreach Locations

The purpose of these outreach programs is to provide services more conveniently to veterans and their families in these parts of the county, and to reach veterans in these areas who … Read more


Commonly Requested PhoneNumber

Requested Phone Numbers Department of Veterans Affairs Regional Office, Winston-Salem 1-800-827-1000 Women Veterans Hotline 1-855-829-6636 National Call Center for Homeless Veterans 1-877-424-3838 VA Education Hotline 1-888-442-4551 … Read more

Veterans Treatment Court

The structure of VTC is similar to that of drug treatment and mental health courts in that they involve cooperation and collaboration with court officials, community partners, and law enforcement. The goal … Read more


VA.gov which is taking the place of eBenefits, is a central location where a veteran can manage their VA Benefits and care in one place. If you go to eBenefits ( … Read more

CHAMPVA (Civilian Health and Medical Program of the Dept. of VA)

Civilian Health and Medical Program of the Department of Veterans Affairs (CHAMPVA). Through this program, we cover the cost of some of your health care services and supplies. This is called cost … Read more


Veterans Affairs "Find a Form"

VA website where you can find and downloads up to date VA Forms. Read more

MeetingsView All

Harnett County Veterans Council

  June 27, 2023–June 27, 2043

The Harnett County Veteran Council meets every first Tuesday of each month at the Veterans office at 455 McKinney Parkway Suite 108 in Lillington, N.C. at 6 p.m. Read more


Our office hours are Monday thru Friday from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 1 p.m. thru 5 p.m. The office is closed each day from 12 p.m. until 1 p.m.


There is no fee for our services. We are Harnett County employees and the county has hired us to provide these services to Harnett County veterans' and their family members.


If this is your inital claim or you have recently move to Harnett County, we would need the following documentation:

  • DD-214 Member 4/Discharge Paperwork (Older Veterans)/Separation documents (NGB 22/Retirement orders)
  • Bring a list of issues you want to claim after reviewing your service medical & dental records (If you have the original copy of your medical, dental, & personnel records the VA would need them turned in.)
  • Any medical evidence related to your issues or injury for example non-DoD/VA medical records, NEXUS Letter, Buddy Statements, scientific evidence, pictures, and any thing you beleive help your case. If you do have outside medical records, you can ask the VA to gather those records. You would need to know where to get those records. The VA will only try couple of time and/or told there is a fee, the VA will not pay any fees. It is your responsibilty to ensure the VA receive your evidence.
  • Voided check or your bank direct deposit form.
  • If you are adding dependences we would need the marriage certificate, children birth certificate, know the dependents SSN, and if the veteran or spouse has prior marriages you will need the following information (a) Where and When the marriage took place. (b) The name of the other person. (c) How the marriage ended (Divorce/Death/Annulment). (d) Where and when the marriage ended. 


There are many types of identification cards you can use to show you're a Veteran. The following are the type of Veterans' ID Cards:

We are here to assist you in attaining your ID card, you could have to call and make an appointment and have the required documents if needed. The two easiest way to get a Veteran Identification is either going to enroll into the VA Healthcare system or through the NCDMV. 



The process of preparing a discharge upgrade or correction application can be a lot of work and can take a long time. Although many Veterans are successful on their own, you may want to consider finding someone to advocate for you in this process. Try a Veterans Service Organization (VSO), search online for a lawyer who may provide services for low or no cost, or ask other Veterans for recommendations. 

All branches of the military consider you to have a strong case for a discharge upgrade if you can show your discharge was connected to any of these categories:

  • Mental health conditions, including posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) 
  • Traumatic brain injury (TBI) 
  • Sexual assault or harassment during military service (at VA, we refer to this as military sexual trauma or MST) 
  • Sexual orientation (including under the Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell policy)

VA looks at the “character of discharge” to determine whether a person meets the basic eligibility requirements for receipt of VA benefits under title 38 of the United States Code. Any discharge under honorable conditions satisfies the character of discharge requirement for basic eligibility for VA benefits. Certain types of discharges, along with the circumstances surrounding those discharges, bar an individual from basic eligibility for VA benefits. Other types of discharges require VA to make a character of discharge determination in order to assess basic eligibility for VA benefits. Link below is to the VA Fact Sheet on Character of Discharge.

Claims for VA Benefits and Character of Discharge Fact Sheet


Dept. of VA Website


N.C.G.S 105-277.1C allows an exclusion for a permanent residence owned and occupied by an owner who is a North Carolina resident and who meets the following criteria:

  • Property owner must be a veteran or a never-remarried surviving spouse of a veteran of any branch of the U.S. Armed Forces with an Honorable or Under Honorable Conditions discharge.
  • If owned by a veteran who must be (1) have a permanent and total service-connected disability of 100% or (2) receive benefits for Specially Adapted Housing under 38 U.S.C. 2101 Acquisition and Adaptation of housing:eligible veterans.
    • or
  • If owned by surviving spouse: The property owner must be the surviving spouse of either (1) a veteran who had a permanent and total service-connected disabliliy or (2) a veteran that received benefits for Specially Adapted Housing under 38 U.S.C. 2101 or (3) a veteran who died as a result of a service-connected condition.

The Disabled Veterans Property Exclusion is the first $45,000 of your assessed real property value. Co-owner who are not spouses and who are individually eligible for the benefit will receive no more than the first $45,000 of the assessed real property. $45,000 is the maximum allowed exclusion for property tax relief N.C.G.A 105.277.1C.

If I meet the criteria, what is my next step?

  1. Complete Section 1 and 2 of the NCDVA-9 form.
  2. Take the form to your local County Veteran Service Office for certification. You will need the following documents: DD-214 and current VA letter that shows when you became permanent and total or received Specially Adaptive Housing.
  3. Once cerified, submit the NCDVA-9 form and Form AV-9 Application for Property Tax Relief to your local county tax office.

The date for timely submission of documents to your county tax office is June 1st of the current year. We recommend that you submit NCDVA-9 form to the County Veteran Service Office well in advance of June 1st to allow sufficient time for the certification process.


Harnett County Tax Office