2024 Primary and General Candidate Filing
Running for Office in 2024
When do I file? Filing periods are set by § 163-294.2(c).
12:00 noon 12/04/2023 – 12:00 noon 12/15/2023
What are the qualifications?
Unless otherwise specified, all candidates must be registered to vote in the state, qualified to vote in an election for the office sought, and 21 years old by the date of the general election. Click here to see the additional requirements for certain offices.
What do I need to bring?
A valid NC Driver’s License or other photo ID for identification purposes.
Payment method for filing fees: Fees up to and including $50.00 may be paid by cash, check, cashier’s check, certified check, or money order. We cannot accept Card and do not have change on site.
Fees over $50.00 must be paid by check, cashier’s check, certified check, or money order and made out to: Harnett County Board of Elections.
What can I expect when I arrive?
If arriving on the first or last day of filing, please be prepared to wait.
Staff will verify your eligibility to file for office.
Filing paperwork will be completed, signed, and notarized by staff.
Filing fees must be paid at the time of filing.
Any campaign finance questions can be answered after the filing process.
Campaign Finance Information
• Your first campaign finance disclosure report is due within ten (10) days of your organized date on your Statement of Organization.
• New committees: Treasurers must receive training within 90 days of appointment and once every four (4) years thereafter.
• Please use the free, state-provided campaign finance reporting software for all report filings. The software download is located on the NC State Board of Elections website.
• Existing candidate committees: Please ensure all information is current.
• Questions can be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Open seats and filing fees
|DEPARTMENT||SEAT||FILING FEE (1% of base salary)|
|STATE SENATE||DISTRICT 12||$139.51|
|STATE HOUSE||DISTRICT 53||$139.51|
|STATE HOUSE||DISTRICT 6||$139.51|
|BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS||DISTRICT 3||$113.54|
|BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS||DISTRICT 4||$113.54|
|BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS||DISTRICT 5||$113.54|
|BOARD OF EDUCATION||DISTRICT 2||$113.54|
|BOARD OF EDUCATION||DISTRICT 4||$113.54|
|REGISTER OF DEEDS||$792.80|
Filing for Soil and Water Conservation Districts
Filing begins 12:00 noon June 10, 2024 through 12:00 noon July 5th, 2024
Filing fee: $5.00