Harnett County Board of Commissioners will hold a public comment period during their regularly scheduled meetings. The public comment period allows for up to 30 minutes for informal comments allowing 3 minutes for each presentation. Please note the Harnett County Board of Commissioners adopted revisions to the Rules of Procedure, Rule 29. Public Comment Period on April 4, 2022. A copy of the rule can be found by clicking here.
Speakers are requested to signup prior to the meeting. Speakers may sign up by completing the sign up form here at least one hour prior to the start of the meeting or by utilizing the signup sheet at the back of the room. The signup form will be picked up by the clerk 5 minutes before the published meeting start time.
For questions, contact the clerk Melissa Capps at email@example.com
The Rules for Public Comment
- Public comment periods will be limited to a maximum of thirty (30) minutes and each person desiring to speak shall have a maximum of three (3) minutes to make their remarks. A speaker may not speak more than once during the same public comment period. Please silence all electronic devices.
- Speakers shall address the Board from the podium and begin their remarks by stating their name and residential address. Speakers shall maintain proper order and shall make their comments in a civil manner. Personal attacks and use of profanity is prohibited.
- Public comment is not intended to require the Board to answer any impromptu questions. The Board should refrain from engaging in a dialogue, except to the extent necessary to clarify the speaker’s position. The Board shall not entertain questions from the audience, and discussions between speakers and members of the audience shall be prohibited.
- Speaker comments should be limited to subjects that are within the Board’s jurisdiction. Speakers shall not discuss matters that concern the candidacy of any person seeking public office, including the candidacy of the speaker, closed session matters, those matters which are the subject of public hearings, and any matters intended to promote any individuals’ commercial or pecuniary interest.
- Action on items brought up during the Public Comment Period will be at the discretion of the Board.
- Speakers are requested to signup prior to the meeting. Speakers may sign up by contacting the clerk at least one hour prior to the start of the meeting or by utilizing the signup sheet at the back of the room. The signup form will be picked up by the clerk 5 minutes before the published meeting start time
- A speaker may not share or relinquish any remaining time they have not used to another speaker.
- Speakers are only allowed to speak one (1) time during the public comment period.