A working smoke detector is credited for alerting a sleeping Broadway couple early Thursday morning.
At 12:34 am on Thursday May 30, 2019 a 911 call was received by the Harnett County 911 Center from one of the occupants of a home at 12770 NC 27 W reporting their house was on fire. The female occupant was able to exit the home and advised 911 Center staff that her husband was still in the home.
Benhaven, Spout Springs, Boone Trail, Ft. Bragg, Anderson Creek, and Flat Branch fire departments responded and were able to quickly remove a trapped victim and extinguish the flames. Unfortunately, one occupant perished during the fire. It appeared the male occupant was attempting to extinguish the fire when he succumbed to the effects of heat and smoke.
Harnett County Fire Marshal Rodney Daniels said “I encourage all citizens to please ensure that you have a working smoke detector in your home. Simply setting a monthly reminder on your phone or calendar to test your smoke detector at least once a month is a good way to remember. Get Out, Stay Out -Remember to escape first and then notify the fire department using 911. Teach children not to hide from firefighters. If someone is missing, tell the firefighters. They are equipped to perform rescues safely.”
Benhaven EMS, Harnett County EMS, Harnett County Fire Marshal’s Office, Harnett County Sheriff’s Office and Red Cross also assisted on this incident.
Citizens are encouraged to be proactive and review the National Fire Protections Association’s safety tips on installing and testing smoke alarms. https://www.nfpa.org/Public-Education/By-topic/Smoke-alarms/Installing-and-maintaining-smoke-alarms